Saturday, January 26, 2008

One Day At A Time

A friend reminded me last night how difficult it can be to remain in the present. She recently returned to the 9-to-5 workforce after almost four years of adjunct teaching at several local colleges so she could spend more time at home with her first born. She remarked that she felt like a captive stuck in an office for eight hours a day. "You know, I guess it's like being a recovering addict," she said. "I just have to take it one day at a time."

What does this have to do with financial abundance? Everything!

Too often we want to be rich and live richly while dwelling on the past and anticipating the future. Money lurks in our thoughts even when we don't consciously realize it. I should have paid more than the minimum on the Visa last month.

If I hadn't bought that great new suit on a whim, I would have had enough money to cover that unexpected dental bill. I hope that whirring noise in the car won't mean a trip to the repair shop soon. Next year I won't buy so many holidays gifts.


Living in the present means releasing any past financial missteps and accepting action in this moment for future financial success. The present moment is all we really get. If you aren't saving enough, set up an automatic savings plan today. If you know the car may need service, schedule an appointment today. If you bought an impulse purchase and know you don't honestly need it, you just thought it was too good of a sale to pass up, return it today.

When you live in the present moment -- not berating yourself for the past or worrying about the future -- you get to enjoy life more fully and abundantly, whatever actions you choose to take. This, of course, is easier said than done. But isn't everything that is worthwhile easier in theory than in practice?

No comments: